Want to experience a small animal and exotics veterinary hospital IRL? Want to be mentored by experienced veterinarians with diverse backgrounds? Want to learn in an environment that fosters forward thinking, team work, and quality realistic medicine? Want to eat some really good Mexican food? Well, look no further than TLC Animal Hospital! What makes us so special? We constantly strive to practice the “golden rule.” In a nutshell, our leadership and management are constantly working to ensure we are the type of business we ourselves would want work in as team members, as well the type of hospital we would want to take our pets as clients. For the more elaborate explanation:
- We believe in practicing quality medicine and advocating for our patients’ physical and emotional well-being.
- We believe in providing clients with a quality experience.
- We believe in having a quality of life concern for our staff and fostering a healthy workplace culture. So what does this mean for a veterinary intern?
- It means you can practice medicine you can be proud of.
- It means you have access to mentorship and support from Dr. Dashley, Dr. Lara and Dr. Reyes. When time allows, we endeavor to have interns practice procedures such as e-tube placement, spays/neuters, enucleations, declaws, skin closures, tail amputations, and tooth extractions on cadavers. We help you work up cases and practice client communication and physical exams.
- It means you can get a ton of experience and education, while still having time to enjoy the local cuisine and culture of El Paso. We are truly a gem of the southwest, with lots of food, shopping, outdoor activities, and recreation. We are also within driving distance of the forests of Cloudcroft and Ruidoso, the unique vistas of White Sands, and the caverns of Carlsbad.
- It means that you can earn a bit of cash to help with those pesky student loans. Veterinary student externs are paid $1000 per week, with included hotel and travel expenses.
- It means flexibility. Just want to practice on dogs and cats and never touch a bird again? That’s okay. If you are interested in small exotics (sorry, no Ostriches), Dr. Dashley and Dr. Reyes are more than happy to help you out. Not interested in orthopedics? Not everyone is a bone carpenter, so we understand ;)
- It means you have access to a brand-spanking-new, beautiful, fully-loaded veterinary hospital. 7 exam rooms, 2 surgery tables in a dedicated surgical suite, 2 dental tables in a dedicated dental suite, 5 treatment tables, genuine isolation room, separate dog and cat waiting, separate dog and cat kennel areas, digital white board, digital radiography (including horizontal beam), ultrasound and echocardiography, digital dental radiographs, electro- and radiocautery, surgical laser, cold laser, HotDog patient warming systems, full anesthesia monitoring (including EtCO2), and in house lab machines (chem, CBC, coag, urinalysis, and IDEXX snap tests).
Sorry, no crystal ball or magic wand, but here’s to hoping! Future plans for the practice include pursuing AAHA accreditation, incorporating CT and endoscopy, expanding our exotics services to include rabbit and rodent dentistry, and adding more wonderful associate veterinarians to our growing TLC family. Padawan externs may very well be offered an associate position as a full fledged veterinarian Jedi upon graduation and licensure!